Story Quilts Purpose: Picking out the moral of the story, individualize engagement of the story for each student while they move to symbolic drawings. [ For grades 3-5 ]
Rationale: Motivation- the more involved in the story the students are, the more they will want to read further.
1. Each student picks a quote that sums the moral of the story up for them.
2. They then make a symbol to represent the quote.
3. Using these symbols and quotes, the students will then make a quilt square on paper or cloth.
4. After all the squares are completed, assemble the quilt on a bulletin board or into the quilt [ if using cloth ]
Strengths: Can make a risk free project.
1. Be prepared to teach quilting.
2. Time consuming.
3. Breaking risk barrier with students could be problematic.
Back to the directory!