PReP (Prereading Plan) Purpose: To diagnose students prior knowledge and provide necessary background knowledge so tudents will be prepared to understand what they will be reading.
Rationale: A gianostic and instructional procedure used when students read informational books and content area textbooks.
1. Introduce key concept to studentsw using a word, phrase, or picture to intitiate a discussion.
2. Have students brainstorm words about the topic, and record their ideas on a chart. Help make connections among brainstormed ideas.
3. Present additional vocabulary and clarify any misconceptions.
4. Have students draw pictures and/or write a quickwrite about topic using words from the brainstormed list.
5. Have students share quickwrites and ask questions to help clarify and elaborate quickwrites.
Strengths: To help the students learn about a subject before starting a lesson.
Weaknesses: Classroom mangagement.