CLOZE PROCEDURE Purpose: A strategy to help determine if the reading level is suitable or not. Also can be used as a test of comprehension of the text being studied.
Rationale: When the students are able to fill in the blanks, the book is suitable for the age level.
1. Select the passage from a textbook or tradebook.
2. Retype the passage. The first sentence is typed as it appears in original text. Replace every fifth word with a blank.
3. Students read passage first. Then guess what belongs in each blank.
4. Score the work, 1 point for each correct answer.
5. Compare the percentage of correct word replacement with this scale:61% correct independentStrengths: An alternate way of assessing needs.
41-60% correct instructional
below 40% frustration!
Weaknesses: Lots of typing.
This way to the directory!