DRTA-Directed Reading Thinking ActivityPurpose: This strategy is used to help students:1. determine the purpose for readingRationale: As students develop more strategies for reading, the more independent readers they will become.
2. Use prediction when reading text
3. Make decisions based on readings.
Procedure:1. Direct students to read the title and brainstorm what the story might be about. Record the answers on the board.Strengths:
2. Read first section. Ask the students if their prediction was confirmed, rejected or modified. Only the student that made the prediction may change their answers.
3. Repeat step 2 until the class has finished with the reading.
4. Have the students justify their predictions by having them think aloud.
1. This helps develop critical reading skills.Weaknesses:
2. Also helps students develop reading comprehension.
1. Only useful if students have not read or heard the text being used.
2. Classroom management may become a problem.
I want to return to the Directory!